French Toast NYC style! It doesn’t matter where you go in NYC, whether it be a dingy looking neighbourhood cafe or the best restaurant in town, the breakfasts never seem to disappoint.
There’s a real buzz about breakfast in New York too, everywhere is jammed (in a good way) and there’s type of chaos that makes the city’s morning ritual even more exciting.
This is a very indigent breakfast, and why not go all out by adding some crispy bacon! Bread is key here, make sure you get a good quality loaf that you’ll need to slice yourself- challah and brioche both work very well.
Ingredients – 1 Portion
- Butter, for frying
- 2 slices of Bread
- 1 egg
- 70ml milk
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 heaped tablespoon honey
- 1/2 orange, squeezed
- More honey or maple syrup to serve
- Beat the egg with the milk and soak the 2 slices of bread until they have absorbed all of the mixture.
- Melt the butter in a nonstick pan and fry the bread for about 3 minutes on each side until golden. Leave aside in the oven.
- Add the banana to the pan and leave to turn golden for about a minute, then add the honey and orange juice. Toss around until the liquid has turned to a syrup, which only takes about 2 minutes. Pour this over the toast.
- Serve with some extra honey or maple syrup drizzled over the top, and some bacon if you’re feeling a bit wild.