Pinhead (or steal cut) oats are a great healthy alternative to rice when making risotto if you’re trying to eat a bit healthier as they will keep the hunger at bay for hours. They can be found in most good food stores and health shops and are packed with all the good stuff like soluble fibre and Vitamin B1 (known to improve brain function, eye health and convert food to energy). Not only this but it is also the least processed of all oats and as far as I’m concerned, the less processed something is the better.
I absolutely love mushrooms and I added the kale to give an extra bit of bite and colour. Kale seems to be the new “superfood” of the moment these days and with great reason too- it has zero fat, and is extremely high in iron. Being the cheese addict I am, I added some parmesan but this can be easily left out with equally tasty results.
Serves 2 Prep Time: 5 mins Cooking Time: 30 mins approx.
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Garlic Clove, crushed
- 100g Pinhead Oatmeal
- 170g Chestnut mushrooms, chopped
- 800ml Hot Chicken or Vegetable stock
- 70g Kale, chopped
- Parmesan (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the oats, mushrooms and garlic. Cook on a high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add about 1/4 of the stock and the kale and stir for 2 minutes. Season.
- Add the rest of the stock, 1 ladelfull at a time, until all of the liquid is absorbed and the oats are soft (about 20 minutes). Stir constantly so the oats don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- If using parmesan add as much as you like now and stir so it melts. This would be delicious served with a rocket salad.