I have an apple tree in my back garden and always have an abundance of apples at this time of year, never managing to use them all up! Whether you grow your own or not, apples will always be cheaper when they are in season in late September. This recipe is seriously fast and is a great alternative to a usual apple tart or crumble which I always tend to think of first. The great thing about this recipe is that most ingredients tend to be staples and you can switch the almond extract for cinnamon, walnuts or even some white chocolate chips depending on what you fancy.
Ingredients (Makes about 15)
225g self raising flour
175g castor sugar
3 cooking apples (peeled, cored and chopped quite small)
1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C and line a muffin tray with cases.
2. Beat the sugar and butter together until fluffy.
3. Add in the eggs and almond extract and beat until combined.
4. Sieve in the flour and beat until just incorporated.
5. Stir in the apples.
6. Fill the muffin cases and bake for approx 30 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
7. Remove and cool on a wire rack.